Poem: Pacific Crest Trail





Helmut Newton, Chateau d’Aunoy, 1978






There is music in your mouth, the sun the size
of a clenched fist.  
All my own words I tell it you;

When the sun slanted through the windows of that hospital corridor
I would wait for Glasgow soup
Dip my fingers into the earth
While the smokers talked football and home truths.
Two friends, one red, one blue.
They watched me in twos too
Rumi would float up the walls when I read to them
Poetry about lions and wine.
No screaming
Just songs.

Wrote a postcard to Rockbrook
two stamps to get there faster
missing the southern summer
gentle mountains taught me how to grow
now big brain sealed in plaster
frequenter of things no good for me.

If only you all knew
How it was fragile,
big and cruel.
To lock the doors behind me
I, woman, escapee.






Comments