Poem: Day After





Anna Maria Maiolino — É o que sobra, 1974




My illness is as physical as a fever
Winding and hit, a crack, splatter, split
Caress the wall, it feels like skin
I wish I was joking
Mad woman your mind is as mad as sin.

Kinetic energy, my Acetlycholine says so 
Where did the dopamine go?
It’s not as simple as that
But something is firing
one eye twitch
No more fucking cannabis
I'm restless my body says so
I am at mercy of these neurotransmitters

Then a culmination of all the repression
Like a cut artery of an athlete
It gushes, it blasts in all directions
Maybe it'll hit a care, or a nerve of another
My body is getting ready to push it out
I wouldn't be surprised if black molasses
Sweet smelling like fish
Oozes from my pores.
Its as physical as a pregnancy, I hope my sickness falls out from between my legs
I would smother it
Bury it in the garden

You are a fucking liability
No matter how hard you try
Good girl, patient woman, tolerant tolerant,
In order to be the perfect person, a better version of myself
I have to grab hurt by the hair and push her to her knees.
Tape her mouth, the adhesive getting the brunt of the begging pleading for a hug, some leftover love
Shut the fuck up, you sit here while I try my hand at living.
Don’t make a peep. 

Comments