Poem: it goes on and on

Colin Pantall



                                                         
My baby girl all blonde and blue eyes,
Hitler would’ve sieged hailed her
A classic beauty, she’s so easy to look at.

She doesn’t miss me much, but we keen for a non-mother daughter relationship
I love my baby girl, she helps me out.
We both smoke like chimneys
I love her nails, sealing the paper.
She moves like water out of a teapot
We smoke and chat, smoke and chat, I stroke the cat, where is Steven, he has gone out. Been a while? No doubt.
Both lost in the smoke
Both losing our way.

I said to my baby girl
Honey, you are a Belle Reve
You look like it too
Classic face, can’t say no to you.
But I smoke 20 more than you do.
So, I’ll make a rule
I will only smoke when you do.
I love to watch you baby girl
How is your hair so soft?

Now one night I tried hard to sleep
But I was missing the stick in between my teeth, right through me.
But I made a promise, my little angel cake
How could I disappoint a little girl with a face like that?
So, I slipped into her bed and sniffed loudly to wake her.
It broke my heart but the chattering was getting louder. Wasn’t that just awful?
“Baby, smoke with me, Steven is gone and the night is lonely”
I won’t forget how bewildered she looked
Put on a scowl.
Mum, fuck off.
“Baby just one!
We won’t talk death anymore and no more chats about lonely”
Mum I’ve got school.
“Baby here”

her big blue yes, her sweet mouth
flickered at the sight of her love induced addiction.

Comments