Poem: There's a rat on the psych ward




Supermodels Enter Rehab (Vogue Italia, July 2007) by Steven Meisel




There’s a rat on the psych ward
Between the lower dimension beings and the government
Under the beds among the voices wailing
Waahh oooo 
I heard a secret
Inside the veins of the insane
I don’t want to write about sadness anymore
what my pills do.
They keep me from going crazy
From sleeping too little
From drowning myself in the bathtub
From crying for my mother at night

I spit them on the ward floor
Tufff… I don’t need them.

When God asks what I did
Ill tell him:
“you made me think I had an unhappy life”
God will say
“it’s all in your head baby”
There is a rat on the psych ward
They keep the crazies clean on Sunday
Taking hell hot showers
Singing Jeff Buckley 
My mother brings me cream cake-
blueberries, the antioxidants does wonders

The fat girl has a Burberry scarf and smells expensive
She likes to kiss my Buddha figurine
“He looks like me” she would exclaim
And he did , round faces, dimpled cheeks
Radio too loud. Jehovah curses you.
Zonked out, not a moment too soon.
My dad cuts my witch fingernails.
I am dead through and through.




Comments