Poem: Central Asian dreaming




In the end there was red water
Red earth
And the liquor I lean on
When God’s grace doesn't come through the window, through the doors.  

John Gary’s moonshine cows
The southern stars that swing Kerouac my way
Jumble up the mountain words.
How lowly am I
How small are my dreams
That can fit between two valleys.

I talk my talk for women
And dream of a free nation
Where meddling foreign fingers don’t steal lapis lazuli
Or bits of the Himalayas
Where girls can dream further and wider
Doctor, sportsman, teacher

Each figure is given a sowing machine
Not the humble pen and paper
like a sword or some shield
Becomes like amour
And slices the purdah.
Long ribbons of gold.


Purdah refers to the female seclusion practice that occurs in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. It was heavily enforced by the Taliban ; women were forbidden to attend school and were restricted to a life inside the familial home. 

Comments