A letter to Glasgow and friends







I’m sorry I had to leave to soon. Unplanned, in a hurry. You should have seen my mother and father, packing my things sorting it out into needed and not needed. I was a bystander, they moved too quick for me to say sorry. To think about the memories. Remember how my cheeks would flush pink during the Scottish nights, the biting cold nibbling at my extremities but me being too happy in your company to care? Remember the smokers and how I used to join them, they would share their lighters and I could squeeze out a smile out of them too. I managed to salvage my tea pot but not my tea. Remember that night with the two drunk students, I took them in, they slept on my bed. One American and one Scotsman, The American locked himself in my toilet out of shame. The other one was cheeky. He gave me chocolates and in return did my laundry.
 I have my parents back. I have a warm house now. But Glasgow, you lonely city. You chilly, good humoured city where as soon as it gets dim, people begin their walks to the local bars and restaurants and me. Alone with friendly company. I was your student Glasgow, but I had to retreat. No more chilly nights with my belly warm with cider, my skin glowing under the stars. The salty sea air, the cold so cold, the air was white. No more sitting around a table chatting and chain smoking, laughing and whispering. My friends so sweet they didn’t care when my mind went hurrumph. I was out of it, MDMA or was it MADM(ursal). They tested my urine. No LSD. I imagine it was a mix of DMT (naturally occurring in the body) and happy. Not to mention the quantum reality I was inducing. Was it a wave or a particle?
The numbers I was listening too. And Buddha. Buddha took away my bloods and the NHS told me I was lacking in Vitamin B12. I began to lack in my own memory too. But one thing I didn't forget was the lucious summer I spent in the Carolina's. This saved me. 

So Glasgow, you gave me madness and I gave you happy. We will meet again someday just not so much in a hurry. 

Comments